heart

heart

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Dan Raphael Navigates The Sun's Illusory Slippage, A Mole That's A Library, The Heresy Of Power Tools, A Breathing Trampoline Sidewalk, And The Waste Disposal Light Of Stars

Three Months ‘til Christmas


a feeling of spring

three days into autumn

or just a feeling of change

a coincidence of waves of different frequencies

most with their own particular sensors

one that hears the oak leaves getting ready

something internal charting the sun’s illusory slippage

as some organic gyroscope still feels the earth

penduluming from equinox to equinox

the deceleration and reversal


morning rush hour louder than usual

though it’s Saturday


explanations take too long and seldom click together

still something appears building, whether just a bubble

to pop or a crescendo like an instant tree


most collisions are so incremental

you hardly feel the friction, the air

compressing around me, how molecules

say excuse me, or watch where you’re going


Road the On


mouth cannot open wide enough

as if the air is resisting me,

whenever 5 per cent of me flexes

that much electricity illuminating the small town

in my armpit, a tendon that’s a river,

a mole that’s a library


i am anywhere. in motion

a nebula of partial foci/coordinates

waiting to choose/open portals at what cost


strap in for another day, another 1500 miles

turning around at the halfway point

and seeing where i’ve never been,

so much changed by sweat and gravitational wind


if i spin will the floor spark, will the carpet

become permanently attached to me

as if i now have a few spare brains.

the challenge of floor plans, the heresy of power tools


two bright hands on a dark table

i can’t see the other end of

as a thousand steps become just one

my head its own GPS number

my feet potential lanterns, waiting for

the right darkness to trigger them

a cluster of switches i may never know

what i turned on or off

Excognito


everybody knew who I was but few agreed with each other

were the shadows or my features moving, was my height fluctuating

or had the sidewalk become a breathing trampoline

no one thought I was speaking their language


daylight melted like a pile of snow teleported to July

night-water was rising through my heels, not yet enough

to wash my face, to write on the dry pavement.


when I said I was hungry it sounded like

“get the fuck out of my way” which caused a few to bolt

some clutched whatever protection was under their shirt


a city bus pulled up, the driver came out and handed me the keys

as I got inside the bus became a bicycle with squirrels for pedals

in the mirror I saw the leaves of my hair were beginning to change colors.

where my watch was was a lens that could also receive

transmitting gps confusion so no one would know where I was

even if I refused to move

but soon I was heading the other way

turning onto wider and wider roads bordered by denser and denser forests.

the median became a canyon filled with ziggurats of shipping containers

glowing with light, exhaling so many origins and fuels

throwing ropes of water up to the surface that always slid back

up here the road don’t mind slicing under mountains


as the light of stars is mostly waste disposal

so many pictures ahead and above

at least one of them is me


dan raphael's poetry collection Maps   Menus   Emanations was

> published this July by cyberwit. more recent poems appear in Unlikely

> Stories, Otoliths, Oz Burp, Lotus-eater and SurVision.


No comments:

Post a Comment