heart

heart

Friday, May 12, 2017

Darren C. Demaree Swears The Apocalypse Isn't Coming While The Evil Governor Holds Five Thousand Poems In His Small Fists

TRUMP AS A FIRE WITHOUT LIGHT #433

This fire sharpens box corners.  These boxes cannot be stacked without a body count.  I am still counting bodies.  It would easier if I just stopped counting, but I’m not willing to give up that oxygen for nothing.  This fire wants my oxygen.  If I thought I could slow it down I would lay my oxygen as a present and a distraction, but that would only give a small jump to this fire.  Unfettered consumption and the willingness to lie about what is consumed, that is their entire agenda.  I will not be a part of that agenda.  I’m writing down all of the names.  I’m listing everything I lose.  If we still have insurance companies when he is all done, I will present to them all five thousand of these poems.



TRUMP AS A FIRE WITHOUT LIGHT #434

Faint copper, still working its way through the Ohio countryside, giving a glisten to each county line, I appreciate what it is you think you’re doing, but we don’t want to be shiny right now.  That will only catch his gaze, and even though our evil governor hates this evil president he cannot stop him from trying to fit us inside his small fists. 



TRUMP AS A FIRE WITHOUT LIGHT #435


The apocalypse isn’t coming.  We’re going to have to deal with all of this.  An ending would be too easy.  We are owed the whole of this process.  We will have to carry him the same way we carried the rest of our original sins.  How uncomfortable he will be riding America’s back right next to the corpses of so many native, enslaved, and marginalized peoples.  Great horrorman, meet the rest of our horrors, and speak to them about the American choice.  We are lazy and evil, yet we sing almost all of the time.  We have fired so many bullets into the heart of beauty because we thought gun smoke was the same thing as an early morning fog.

Darren's poems have appeared, or are scheduled to appear in numerous magazines/journals, including the South Dakota Review, Meridian, New Letters, Diagram, and the Colorado Review.  He is the author of six poetry collections, most recently "Many Full Hands Applauding Inelegantly" (2016, 8th House Publishing). He is also the Managing Editor of the Best of the Net Anthology and Ovenbird Poetry. He is currently living and writing in Columbus, Ohio with my wife and children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment